Last year, it was estimated that 2.5 million people traveled each day around Christmas season and this year will be no different. Families all across the country are packing their bags, filling up their cars, and booking flights and hotels in preparation for the holidays. The Ferguson Township Police Department wants you to add one more item to the list of to-dos before you travel - Protect Your Home! If you are traveling, not just for the holidays, remember to follow these tips to keep your home safe while you are away:
- Ask a friend or neighbor for help. Leave a spare key to a close friend or family member you trust. Ask them to just simply drive by your home once a day to make sure nothing looks suspicious. Maybe entice them with some holiday treats!
- Refrain from posting on Social Media. Checking your social media accounts is an easy way for criminals to see whether you are home or not. Make sure your privacy settings are up to date and wait to post those family photos until you get home!
- Stop your mail. It is as easy as going to USPS.com.
- Unplug your electronics. This will protect them from surges and save you money on energy.
- Lock up valuables in a safe. If a break-in happens, criminals will always check the master bedroom for valuables. Keep them in a safe or a hiding place.
- Disconnect your garage door. It has been reported that criminals can potentially hack into your electronic garage door. Most homoeowners don't lock the door to their house through the garage. Disengage your garage door opener and manually lock it.
Don't Leave a hide-a-key. That fake rock in your flowerbed is not the safest place for your key.
The Ferguson Township PD wish you save travels this holiday season! If you are home for the holidays and see anything suspicious, contact the Police Department as soon as possible!