During this public health emergency, Ferguson Township Public Works Department has canceled Brush and Leaf Collection scheduled for April, in effort to minimize the spread of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) within our community.
Your Public Works crew is helping to make your yard clean-up tasks easier by offering curbside collection of brush and leaves. C-NET's Brush and Leaf Collection video provides guidelines for preparing your brush and leaves for collection. Following these guidelines will help ensure the safety of our crews.
Timing of Brush and Leaf Collection
The Township collects brush and leaves every month from April through December, or until snow plowing and winter maintenance operations begin. Each monthly round begins the first Monday of the month or, if a holiday falls on the first Monday, collection will begin the day after on the first Tuesday of the month. No collection takes place on holidays.
2020 Brush & Leaf Collection Schedule
Residents are asked to place brush and leaves in piles at the curb by 7 am on the first day of brush and leaf collection. The Township does not accept roots, stumps, garden material, and ornamental grasses. While brush and leaves need to be kept separate, they should not be bagged or tarped. See the complete guidelines on our website, where you’ll also find an instructional video from C-NET on preparing your brush and leaves for collection.
Residents also ask what to do if you miss the monthly brush collection. The Township maintains a schedule of monthly brush collection. Each round of brush collection will take approximately one week to complete. Leaves will be collected continuously. Residents are asked to plan accordingly. Should you miss a round of brush collection, the Township suggests you store the brush in your backyard until the day before the next round begins. To maintain our schedule cost effectively for residents, the Township cannot honor individual requests for brush collection.
For the most current information about Ferguson Township Brush and Leaf Collection, please call (814) 238-4651. Select Option 4 for BRUSH Collection and Option 5 for LEAF Collection. You can also email us with questions.
Brush Collection Guidelines
- Trees and limbs up to six inches in diameter and 15 feet in length will be collected.
- Brush should be visible. Place along the edge of the roadway or pile behind the curb.
- Brush must have all ends facing in one direction. Mixed or twisted piles will not be collected.
- Brush should not be bagged or canned.
- Roots, stumps, garden material, and ornamental grasses will not be collected.
- Crews should not enter private property to collect brush.
- Brush will not be collected from lots being cleared for construction purposes.
- Be aware of nearby utility equipment. Please place brush greater than 10 feet away from cable or electric utility boxes that may be located in your front yard near the roadway.
- Time limit for each property collection is 15 minutes.
Leaf Collection Guidelines
- Leaves should be raked to the curb but not onto the street.
- Leaves should be kept in a separate pile from the brush. Different equipment is used to collect the leaves.
- Fence posts, boards and bricks that can damage the collection equipment should not be in the leaf pile.
- Do not bag the leaves.
- Be aware of nearby utility equipment and structures. Please place all leaf piles a minimum of 10 feet away from utility boxes and mailboxes.