Frequently Asked Questions

Browse by Category:

Ask Faye

Faye Drawl is Ferguson Township's longtime receptionist who answers your calls to the Township office. We asked Faye the questions she is asked most often and have provided the answers below. If you can't find an answer here, you can contact us during our regular business hours
at (814) 238-4651. Or, complete our Contact Us form. 


Disposing of Trash, Recycling, Bulk Waste or Grass Clippings

What should I do if my trash is not collected?

If your trash was not collected on your regularly scheduled collection day, consider the following questions:

• Was your trash out by 7 a.m. on your regularly scheduled collection day?
• Was the trash placed in bags or trash cans?
• Did each container weigh less than 40 pounds?
• Is your account up to date?
• Is collection following a regular schedule or on a holiday schedule this week? 
• Was the container free of leaves and grass clippings?

If you answered yes to all of the above questions, it is possible that the driver overlooked your trash. Please contact Advanced Disposal at (814) 237-3713 by noon the next day to report the missed stop. A driver will return to the property and remove the trash generally within one business day.

How should I dispose of old paint and other chemicals?

Household Hazardous Waste can be managed in several ways.

First, avoid using hazardous materials if possible. Select the least toxic item and buy the minimum necessary to do the job.

If the material is still useful, check with friends and neighbors, or community groups such as the Little League, Habitat for Humanity, and others, to see if they can use the product.

If the material cannot be used, take it to the Centre County Recycling and Refuse Authority Hazardous Household Waste Collection Event. You have two days each year to dispose of hazardous household materials. 

The 2018 event is April 27 - 28

If you must discard the material prior to the next scheduled event, you may place in your regular trash, provided:

You have read the label and complied with any disposal directions.

Liquids have either been allowed to evaporate (if water-based) or absorbed (if non-water based) on some material such as vermiculite, cat litter, or sawdust, so that there are no freestanding liquids.

The remaining residue has been packaged to prevent leakage while the material is being transported to the disposal facility.

The material is placed out in small quantities over several collection periods.

For more information, visit the Centre County Recycling and Refuse Authority website


When is Bulk Waste Collection Week?

Bulk Waste Collection Week occurs in the fall and spring. Advanced Disposal will collect old furniture, bedding, carpeting, and tires (some restrictions apply). Advanced Disposal will also recycle your appliances, computers, and televisions.

Remember to have all items at the curb by 7 am on your regularly scheduled collection day. This service is for curbside customers only, not townhomes and apartments with dumpsters.

Visit the Bulk Waste Collection section on the Centre Region Refuse & Recycling homepage for more information.

Spring 2018 Bulk Waste Collection Week is May 7 - 11.

Where do I take my invoice for having my septic tank pumped?

Invoices for having your septic tank pumped may be dropped off at the Centre Region Code Agency office on the first floor of the Centre Region Council of Governments located at 2643 Gateway Dr. State College, PA 16801. 


Township Hours, Meetings and Right-to-Know

How do I submit a Right-to-Know request?

The Township Manager and Chief of Police are the designated Right-to-Know Officers for Ferguson Township.

Requests for non-police records may be submitted to:

David Pribulka, Township Manager
3147 Research Dr.
State College, PA 16801

Tel: (814) 238-4651
Fax: (814) 238-3454

Requests for police records may be submitted to:

Chris Albright, Chief of Police
3147 Research Dr.
State College, PA 16801

Tel: (814) 238-1172
Fax: (814) 238-3454

Download a copy of the standard Right-to-Know Request Form

View more information about submitting a Right-to-Know request

What are Ferguson Township's office hours?

The Ferguson Township Muncipal Building at 3147 Research Drive is open from 8 am to 5 pm Monday through Thursday and 8 am to 4 pm Friday. The administrative offices are closed on the following holidays: New Year's Day, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day (July 4th), Labor Day, Thanksgiving, the Friday after Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day

The Ferguson Township Police Department is available 24/7. 

Police information should be submitted via 9-1-1 (for emergency, in progress or just occurred incidents, or 1.800.479.0050 for non-emergency information).  General questions or tips may be submitted via And anonymous tips may be submitted via this link.

When the Ferguson Township Municipal Building is closed, the foyer remains open. Anyone who needs police assistance may pick up the phone in the foyer and be connected with a 9-1-1- communications dispatcher, who will alert our department that you are there.

Where can I find meeting minutes from previous meetings? How can I contact a member of the Board of Supervisors?

You can contact the Board of Supervisors by email address listed below. Alternatively, you are invited to speak directly to the Board during the Citizen's Input item at each Regular Meeting to discuss items that are not on the night's agenda. 

Steve Miller, Chair
Richard Killian, Vice Chair
Peter Buckland
Laura Dininni
Vacant At-Large position



When are Township meetings?

The Board of Supervisors meets at 7 pm on the first and third Monday of the month.

The Planning Commission meets at 6 pm on the second and fourth Monday of the month.

The Tree Commission meets once a month, typically at 5:30 pm on a Monday, unless otherwise noted. 

The Zoning Hearing Board meets at 7 pm on the fourth Tuesday of the month. 

The Parks and Recreation Committee meets at 4 pm on the second Monday of the month. 

Unless otherwise noted, all meetings are held at the Ferguson Township Municipal Building.

For meeting announcements and agendas, please consult our Events Calendar

Ordinance Enforcement

I got a letter saying I need to cut my grass. Who can I talk to?

Questions regarding Township ordinances such as this should be directed to the Ferguson Township Ordinance Enforcement Officer. You may contact her at (814) 238-1172, voice mailbox 3739, or by using our Contact Us form.

What can I do about a barking dog in my neighborhood?

Barking dogs can be in conflict with the noise regulations of the Township. A noisy animal shall be defined as one or more animals which make(s) noises habitually, so as to constitute annoyance to a person of ordinary sensibilities. If you have a complaint about a barking dog, you should contact the Township's Ordinance Enforcement Officer. Use our Contact Us form. 

When do dogs need to be on a leash?

Dogs may be off leash while on the owner's property. However, dogs must be on a leash or under complete control of its owner when outside the owner's property. The dog may not leave the property by itself, wander into a neighbor's yard, or run loose. This is considered to be a dog at large and is a violation. Dogs are permitted to be off leash at Tudek Dog Park or within the 62-acre Patton Woods Nature Area off Circleville Road, but dog owners are responsible for controlling their animals in these recreational areas at all times. In all other areas of Tom Tudek Memorial Park, as well all parks in the Centre Region, dogs must be leashed and controlled. 

For more information, view §2-102, Chapter 2: Animals of the Code of Ordinances: Unlawful to Allow Animals to Run at Large

When does my dog need a license?

Dogs need to be licensed at three months of age.

During what hours are the Township's noise regulations applicable?

Generally, the noise regulations are effective between the hours of 7 pm and 7 am.

The Noise Limitations section of the Ferguson Township Code of Ordinances covers musical instruments; equipment; handling of garbage cans; noise in the vicinity of hospitals, schools and churches; noisy animals; vehicles and use of horns, and noise by peddlers. 

General noise violations occur when excessive noise of any kind is made, by crying, shouting, whistling, bell ringing, rattling, clapping, hammering, amplifying, and more.

When is noise excessive? It may depend on the time of day, or the kind of noise. Crying, shouting, whistling, clapping, hammering, or amplifying music are examples.

Learn more:

§10-308 of Chapter 10: Health and Safety in the Code of Ordinances: Noise Limitations

A tree in front of my house needs to be treated or cut down. What should I do?

It is very likely that a portion of your front yard is Ferguson Township right-of-way, and a tree that may appear to be part of your property may actually belong to the Township.

Before you consider removing, treating or otherwise altering what may be a Township tree, please consult the Ferguson Township Tree Ordinance for guidelines, or contact the Ferguson Township Arborist.

You'll also need to determine where your property line is located. Where your property line ends is where the Township right-of-way begins. Right-of-way widths vary depending on the street and location, but one thing you can be sure of: Any tree in the space between the sidewalk and the curb is the property of the Township. In neighborhoods without sidewalks, identifying the right-of-way can be difficult. Typically, utility boxes, telephone poles, and public signage are located in the right-of-way, and can be helpful to approximate whether a tree is Township property, but this is not always an exact science.

Ferguson Township's street and park trees are protected under the Township's Code of Ordinances. Violations of the Tree Ordinance carry a penalty payable by fine and the cost of replacing the tree. 

If you are uncertain about a tree in your front yard that appears to need attention, please contact the Ferguson Township Arborist at (814) 238-4651. 

Public Works

I received a letter saying I need to trim my shrubs because they block the view. Who can I talk to?

Please respond to the author of the letter. The Township Engineer investigates complaints of blocked sight distance at road intersections. If the obstruction is on private property, typically you as the owner will receive a notice indicating that you must abate the sight distance hazard per the Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Code. If you are concerned about sight distance at an intersection in the Township, contact the Township Engineer.

You may contact the Township Engineer by calling (814) 238-4651 or by using the Contact Us form.

What can I do about my neighbor’s tree branches hanging over onto my property?

Ferguson Township does not monitor or enforce boundaries for private trees. It’s a civil matter between neighbors. The Township suggests asking your neighbor if you may trim the tree branches or whether he or she would prefer to trim them. Most of the time, such concerns can be resolved by reaching out and talking it over.

When is Brush and Leaf Collection?

Brush and Leaf Collection begins on the first Monday of each month of the year, weather permitting. If the first Monday is a holiday, collection will begin on the following day. Brush and leaves must be curbside at 7 am on the first Monday of every month to be collected.

Brush and Leaf Collection Guidelines

For more information about the Brush and Leaf Collection schedule, call the Township at (814) 238-4651 and press option 4.

Where should I place brush for collection?

Brush may be placed at curbside for collection but may not be placed in the road. Branches must be placed with the cut end facing the road. The Township does not collect grass clippings and ornamental grasses. They may be disposed of in your weekly trash or properly composted. Grass clipping may also be brought to the Township for disposal.

Brush and Leaf Collection Guidelines

I missed the monthly brush collection. Can I arrange for a special pick-up?

The Township maintains a schedule of monthly Brush Collection and two extra rounds in October of each year. Each round begins on the first Monday of the month (except for holidays) and takes approximately a week to complete. Residents are asked to plan accordingly. Should you miss a round, the Township suggests you store the brush in your backyard until the day before the next round begins. To maintain our schedule cost effectively for residents, the Township cannot honor individual requests for Brush Collection.

Where can I take grass clippings?

Ferguson Township Public Works will take your grass clippings to the State College Borough recycling and composting facility if you bring them to us.

Feel free to drop them off from dawn to dusk, seven days a week, at the municipal building, 3147 Research Drive.

Look for the "Grass Drop-Off" signs.

How do I report a sinkhole?

If the sinkhole is an emergency, contact Ferguson Township Police. If not an emergency, please contact the Township's Road Superintendent. You may also complete a Contact Us Form.

Sinkholes are a common occurrence in Ferguson Township. If one develops in your yard, you may need to contact a professional geologist or soil scientist.

First, you may want to investigate where the water is coming from that is causing the sink. Check if you have a roof sump or if water is being concentrated to a certain location. Ask your water service provider to mark the water lateral to your house and check that the sink is not in the vicinity of the line which may indicate a water lateral break. If you have public sewer, contact the sewer authority and ask them to mark the location of your sewer lateral. If there is a break in either your water lateral or sewer lateral on your side of the curb box or right of way, you may need to hire a contractor to make the repair. If you cannot find the source of the water causing the sink, you may need to contact a professional for assistance.


I have begun to have trouble with water in my basement or yard. Who can answer my questions?

Please contact your insurance agent. Water in your basement can come from a variety of sources including seeps, springs, clogged roof sumps, overflowing gutters, negative grade, and remedies are numerous. Often a building contractor can assist with determination and remedy.

Stormwater and surface runoff questions may be directed to the Township Engineer. There is an ordinance that governs post construction stormwater runoff related to new subdivisions and developments. If this ordinance applies, the Township may assist in the abatement of the stormwater problem. If it does not apply, property owners may pursue civil remedies.

The Township Engineer manages the Township's Stormwater Ordinance. Questions regarding the Township's Stormwater Ordinance should be directed to the Township Engineer by calling (814) 238-4651.

Why are there different colored flags in my yard or along the sidewalk?

Underground utilities are required to be marked by utility providers prior to excavation operations in accordance with the Pennsylvania One Call System. The Pa One Call System, Call Before You Dig 811, requires facility owners to mark their facilities either during the design phase of a project or before digging begins on a project. Each utility type is assigned a color and is usually marked on the ground with paint or a flag. For more information, call 8-1-1 or speak to the Township Engineering Technician.

As a member of the PA One Call System, the Public Works Department receives copies of One Call notices placed within the Township. Questions regarding planned excavation activities may be directed to the Public Works Department by email or by calling (814) 238-4651. The PA One Call System may be contacted by visiting its website or by calling 1-800-242-1776.

Access the "Frequently Asked Questions" page for PA One Call

View the color guide to determine what each flag represents

My neighbor remodeled and I'm now getting runoff into my yard. What can be done to remedy the situation?

Runoff in your yard can come from a variety of sources including seeps, springs, clogged roof sumps, overflowing gutters, negative grade, or upstream land disturbance and remedies are numerous. Often a building contractor can assist with determination and remedy. Stormwater and surface runoff questions can be directed to the Township Engineer. There is an ordinance that governs post construction stormwater runoff related to new subdivisions and developments. If this ordinance applies, the Township may assist in the abatement of the stormwater problem. If it does not apply, property owners may pursue civil remedies.



Where can I find the Township Budget?

The Budget Information Page is home to the current and previous Operating and Capital Budgets. If you have any questions about the Township Budget, please contact the Finance Director by email or by calling (814) 238-4651.

I received a check in the mail. What is it for?

There are several reasons you may have received a check from the Township in the mail. If you are not certain why you have received a check, you may contact us by calling (814) 238-4651.

Did my escrow account pay my taxes?

If you are not certain whether your taxes were paid by your escrow account, you may contact the Tax Office by calling (814) 238-4651 and selecting Option 1. You may also email the Tax Department.


When do I need a permit?

A permit is required for any of the following:

  • selling, soliciting, distributing flyers or door hangers door to door or from any fixed location within the Township
  • special events that require the closing of Township roads, sidewalks and bikeways
  • the proposed erection, extension or alteration of any structure or portion of structure or land, or a change in use
  • the repaving of a driveway onto a Township road
  • the erection, relocation, alteration or repair of a sign

Read on in Frequently Asked Questions for answers to specific questions

See our Planning and Zoning FAQs for a complete guide to these permits


Do I need a permit to sell or distribute handouts door to door?

Anyone engaging in any of the following activities is required to apply for and obtain a license from the Township Manager:

  • Peddling, soliciting, or taking orders, either by sample or otherwise for any goods, wares, or merchandise on any street, sidewalk, public ground, or from house to house in Ferguson Township;
  • Selling, soliciting, or taking orders for any goods, wares, or merchandise from a fixed location within the Township, on a temporary basis, which shall include, but shall not be limited to such activities conducted at the time of special occasions or celebrations, for seasonal purposes, or in advance of specific yearly holidays;

Any required State or County licenses shall also be obtained and provided at the time of application to the Township. Every license holder is required to carry such license or display it at the location where he is engaged in business.

Do I need a permit to host a special event?

A Special Events Permit shall only be required for events whose procession or assemblage will require the closure of Township roads, sidewalks, and bikeways, regardless of the duration of the event or required closure.

A Special Events Permit shall not be required for the closure of bikeways, trails, or other pathways within municipal and regional parks.

Learn more

Do I need a permit to repave a driveway?

Residents and business owners are reminded that prior to repaving a driveway onto a Township road, the property owner is required to obtain a driveway permit from the Township Engineer. Please complete the application below. The process requires contractors to perform work to Township engineering, construction, and safety standards for those elements of work that tie into the Township roadway.

Driveway Permit Application

When do I need a sign permit?

A sign permit must be obtained from Ferguson Township prior to erecting, relocating, altering or repairing a sign within the Township. Please contact the Zoning Administrator for information or questions about obtaining a sign permit.

Learn more


When is a zoning permit required?

Zoning permits are required for the following:

• The proposed erection, extension, or alteration of any structure or portion of a structure (for example: new dwelling units, room additions, decks, enclosed porches, utility sheds and swimming pools).
• The proposed use or change in use of a structure, portion of a structure or land (for example: a change from office to retail use).
• The proposed change in use by a new landowner / tenant for commercial and industrial properties.

Learn more

See our Planning and Zoning FAQs for a complete guide to permit requirements


Do minors need a permit for a lemonade or hot chocolate stand?

A permit is not required to sell lemonade or hot chocolate from a neighborhood stand. 

Parks and Paths

What parks can I visit in Ferguson Township?

Eleven Centre Region parks are located in Ferguson Township. They include Autumnwood, Cecil Irvin, Fairbrook, Greenbriar-Saybrook, Haymarket, Homestead, the Louis E. Silvi Baseball Complex, Meadows, Park Hills, Suburban, and the Tom Tudek Memorial Park.

Learn about each park's amenities

How do I locate the parks I want to visit?

You can locate each Centre Region park and its amenities by using this Centre Region Parks and Recreation (CRPR) map.

Who maintains Ferguson Township's parks?

With the exception of the Louis E. Silvi Baseball Complex, Centre Region Parks and Recreation (CRPR) maintains all Ferguson Township parks. 

Members of The Penn State Master Gardener Program maintain the Snetsinger Butterfly Garden at Tom Tudek Memorial Park.

How do I find out about programs and events at the parks?

In addiion to managing the parks, Centre Region Parks and Recreation (CRPR) is responsible for organizing park programs and special events. Learn more

How can I provide financial support to Centre Region parks?

Centre Region Parks and Recreation manages its budget in many ways. The Agency receives tax funds from the member municipalities and also generates revenues from certain programs and activities that CRPR reinvests ini its operations. CRPR competes for grant funding, and the Agency receives donations through its Gifts-For-Parks Program.

If you are a regular Amazon shopper, you may consider using the Smilematic Chrome app, which will automatically launch the Amazon Smile donation program.

Learn more

You can support the Tom Tudek Memorial Park through the Tudek Park Trust at any time of year or through the annual Centre Gives campaign. 

How do I rent a pavilion at a park?

Centre Region Parks and Recreation (CRPR) is responsible for maintaining and renting each park's pavilions.

Reserve a pavilion through CRPR


Where can I walk, run or ride my bike in Ferguson Township?

The Ferguson Township Public Works Department maintains many of the 20 shared use paths you'll find in the Township. Shared use means they are available for walking, running or bicycling. 

Facilities within the Township include sections of trails and bike lanes.

Shared Use Path Map

Learn more


What do I need to know about Share the Path?

The Share the Path signs on our paths remind users to:

• Keep right except to pass
• Be respectful of all users
• Keep pets on a leash, as required

In addition, Pennsylvania law requires bicyclists to:

• Wear a helmet if under age 12
• Use lights after dark
• Use audible warnings when passing

Learn more

Does Ferguson Township maintain shared use paths in the winter?

During the winter months, the Ferguson Township Public Works Department performs snow removal on these eight shared use paths in the Township:

• Blue Course Drive 
• Bristol Avenue 
• CATO/Stonebridge
• Clinton Avenue/McKee Street 
• Havershire Drive 
• Science Park Road
• Tudek/Circleville 
• Vairo Boulevard/Aaron Drive

Shared Use Path Winter Maintenance Map

Learn more

Seasonal Questions

When is Trick or Treat Night in Ferguson Township?

The Centre Region Council of Governments passed a motion to designate Wednesday, October 31, as Trick or Treat Night. The hours will be 6 - 8 pm. The Ferguson Township Board of Supervisors then schedules it by a Resolution.

Check our Latest News and/or our Events Calendar for each year's announcement.

Where can I register to vote?

Register to vote and find out where to vote at the Centre County Courthouse in Bellefonte. Call (814) 355-6703 or visit the Elections and Voter Registration website to register or find your polling place.